Thursday, April 21, 2016

Oscar Watch: The Founder (2016)

Hello, Bloggers, welcome to another episode of my Oscar Watch where I discuss trailers for upcoming Oscar contenders. For this post, I will discuss the trailer for the biopic The Founder starring Michael Keaton as the McDonald's founder Ray Kroc.

Full trailer here:
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/michael-keaton-mcdonalds-movie-trailer-founder-1201758262/

First off, watching this trailer made me hungry for McDonald's. It really looked appetizing! Just wanted to get that out of the way. But..do I think it is an Oscar contender? Maybe. The August release date is pretty cautious. But director John Lee Hancock did direct Sandra Bullock to an Oscar win for The Blind Side and almost directed Emma Thompson to a nomination for Saving Mr. Banks. Perhaps he can work some magic on his lead actor.

Not only that, but Keaton must be holding a big IOU after losing for Birdman (which he really shouldn't have). So there's possible goodwill that could carry him over to a win as well as his hot streak of starring in the last two Best Picture winners, Birdman and Spotlight. But that sort of depends on whether the field is weak. We'll have to wait and see how other likely contenders like Joel Edgerton, Andrew Garfield, Nate Parker, and Will Smith fare in the end.

The film itself looks pretty good, though. I don't know if it is something I would run out and pay to see. But we'll see. If I do run out and see it, I'll have to be sure to hit McDonald's afterwards.

What do you guys think? Do you think it looks like a legitimate contender? Please be sure to write your thoughts in the comments section. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment