Friday, September 11, 2015

Oscar Watch: I Smile Back (2015)

Hello, Bloggers, welcome to another episode of my Oscar Watch where I discuss trailers for upcoming Oscar contenders. Now, this is one I am not 100% sure is a slam dunk contender. But given that it stars a female comedian going serious, it might be this year's Cake. This film is I Smile Back starring Sarah Silverman.


Now when I first heard about this film and that it starred Sarah Silverman, I was like "Wow, really?!". We have seen plenty of comedians go serious over the years, but I had trouble trying to picture Silverman in a serious role because I mean, whenever I hear her voice, I just laugh. Also, even Jennifer Aniston has dabbled into semi-serious fare in the past before Cake. But before I saw the trailer, I was willing to keep an open mind about Silverman.

But after finally seeing the trailer, I do have faith that Silverman can pull off a dramatic role. Although the film itself feels like a checklist, focusing on what wins awards (alcoholism, maternal struggles, pill addiction, etc.). But much like how Aniston elevated Cake which also felt like a checklist, Silverman could elevate the material she is given.

Given the fact that the film has a smaller distributor, do I think Silverman could go all the way and sneak into the Best Actress? I'd say maybe not, but then again, I didn't think Aniston had a fighting chance until the Globes and SAG Awards announced her as one of their nominees. Also, I Smile Back is getting released on October 23rd which isn't too early or too late.

So what do you guys think? Do you think it looks like a viable Oscar contender and what do you think of Sarah Silverman playing a serious role? Please feel free to write your thoughts in the comments section. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment