Thursday, September 17, 2015

Another Top 10 Best Oscar Acceptance Speeches

Hello, Bloggers, welcome to my first top 10 list in quite a while. Since I always enjoy covering the Oscars as well as reflecting on their history, I figured I'd create another top 10 list for 10 more of some of the best speeches given in history.


10. Philip Seymour Hoffman for Best Actor (2005): Starting off my list is the late great Philip Seymour Hoffman's gracious yet touching speech when he accepted his Oscar for Capote. While he started off thanking those behind the film and such, the best part is the end when he talked about his mom. I'm close with my mom so this speech really struck a chord with me.


9. J.K. Simmons for Best Supporting Actor (2014): In the midst of all the message speeches given that night (i.e., Patricia Arquette about gender equality, Eddie Redmayne about ALS, etc.), Simmons' was the one that stood out for me because his message was more simple: call your parents if you're lucky to have them. Honestly, when I was watching his speech, I thought about calling my mom.


8. Christian Bale for Best Supporting Actor (2010): When Bale went up to accept his Oscar, it was such a relief to finally see his character work finally get recognized by the industry. It is also wonderful that Bale didn't disappoint with his speech. I liked how he acknowledged Dickie Eklund who he portrayed, his family, and I especially loved how he poked fun at himself when he said "I'm not gonna say the F-word. I've done that too many times." Just perfection.


7. Morgan Freeman for Best Supporting Actor (2004): This is perhaps what you would expect from a Morgan Freeman speech: graceful, calm, and earnest. He's short and to the point yet his pithiness becomes quite admirable. Bonus points for that loud standing ovation he received.



6. Ingrid Bergman for Best Supporting Actress (1974): Bergman's speech for her 3rd Oscar for Murder on the Orient Express is a special case. She admits that her Oscar is an honor yet still says that one of her fellow nominees deserved it more in perhaps the most gracious way possible. We have seen plenty of winners acknowledge their fellow nominees, but not in this kind of way and that actually makes me admire this speech even more for it.


5. Marion Cotillard for Best Actress (2007): I remember thinking that Julie Christie had that award sewn up. Of course, that is until Cotillard's name was called to the stage and she accepted her Oscar with endearing glee. My favorite line was the one where she was like "It is true there are some angels in this city." After that, American audiences would become exposed to her
monumental talent. Magnifique!


4. Tilda Swinton for Best Supporting Actress (2007): What a glorious moment in Oscar history! The best actress working today has her name called to the Oscar podium and she kills it in her speech! She thanks those needed and delivers some funny quips like the one about her agent resembling her statue. Just. Awesomeness!


3. Sandra Bullock for Best Actress (2009): While her win itself isn't very popular or immensely well-regarded, you can't deny she made an impressive speech: Opened with funny zinger? Check. Acknowledged her fellow nominees in a charming yet humorous manner? Check. Touching without being too sentimental? Check. To me, it just hits the right place. One of my favorite lines: "Meryl, you know what I think of you and you are SUCH a good kisser."


2. Meryl Streep for Best Actress (2011): While I am not the biggest fan of the win itself, I still get a kick out of watching Streep's speech. Not only was it very self-aware with her acknowledging what half of America was probably feeling about her, but as her speech progressed, it showed us one thing: even legends can get emotional sometimes.


1. Cate Blanchett for Best Actress (2013): She made an appearance on my last list of the top 12 best acceptance speeches and here she is again but at the top of this list! Humorous yet classy acknowledgment of her fellow nominees? Check. Traditional yet simple thanking of those involved in the film? Check. It was also neat of her to acknowledge how her home country is chock full of talent and how women-led films want to be seen by audiences. More bonus points for thanking those who saw Blue Jasmine in theaters because when she did, I was like "Yeah, she thanked me!". Obviously, she wasn't thanking me directly but it was still a fun little moment. One bit of an exemplary speech given by one of our most exemplary actresses.


So that is my list of some more Oscar speeches that I consider to be some of the best. Whether you agree or disagree, please feel free to write your thoughts in the comments section and I would love to see your own top 10 as well. Thanks for reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment