Sunday, October 26, 2014

Another 31 Days Of Halloween: Top 10 Vampire Movies

Hello, Bloggers, I'm back and with a new Top 10 list in honor of Halloween. This list is what I consider to be the Top 10 Vampire Movies. Just as a heads up, the Twilight films will NOT make this list. Let's take a look:


10. Daybreakers: First up is the rather underrated 2010 gem Daybreakers. The film has a very intriguing premise involving a world where almost everybody is a vampire and it asks the question: What would happen if the blood started to run out? The film is pretty action-packed, features wonderful performances by Ethan Hawke, Willem Dafoe, and Sam Neill, and brings a new twist to the vampire myth. Highly recommend you check it out.


9. 30 Days Of Night: Now, I have a feeling I am in the minority on my opinion of this one since it got a pretty mixed reception, but I loved this film. It makes vampires very terrifying because of how fast and relentless they are. Plus, the film is packed with blood. Seriously, this film has a lot of it and if that is your cup of tea, then definitely check this one out. I also thought the whole idea of vampires being able to walk around for a whole month of darkness is very unique.


8. Underworld: Next is the first in a series of films known as Underworld. Not only does this film makes vampires AND werewolves badass, but it even brings a Shakespearean twist to it because of how a the main heroine, a vampire, and a werewolf fall in love. This is one that, in my opinion, gets better which each viewing.


7. Interview With The Vampire: Next up is the adaptation of the Anne Rice novel Interview With The Vampire. While I haven't read the book, I can say that the film itself is outstanding. What makes this one rather unique is how is has homosexual or bisexual undertones due to the relationship between Lestat and Louis, who are both well-played by Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt. But while they were excellent, I'll admit that Kirsten Dunst was a real scene-stealer as Claudia, an adult vampire trapped in a child's body.


6. Let The Right One In: Next is the only foreign language entry on this list, Let The Right One In. Even though it is another vampire romance, this one deals with the relationship of a human boy and vampire girl. The film even manages to touch on the hardships of adolescence while demonstrating outstanding direction and beautiful cinematography. A true gem that shouldn't be missed. Plus, the film's 2010 American remake ain't too shabby.


5. From Dusk Till Dawn: Now I'm on to slightly more comedic territory. From Dusk Till Dawn is a fun, gore-filled comedic action romp that thrills from beginning to end. I loved how there are different designs to each creature or vampire and I especially loved the lead performance by George Clooney that is a reminder of why he is a star in the first place. I especially loved the whole Night of the Living Dead-vibe the film has with the main characters fighting for their lives inside one place.


4. Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992): Next up is the Francis Ford Coppola flick Bram Stoker's Dracula. Despite this film having the same premise as the original, this one is done with plenty of flare. It really digs deep into the relationship between Dracula and Mina. Plus, the makeup effects on Dracula are amazing. I also liked the performances by Gary Oldman as Dracula and Winona Ryder as Mina, who undergoes a rather intense arc from a proper Englishwoman to a more sensual erotic being. This is How To Do A Vampire Love Story 101, in my opinion.


3. Nosferatu: What is a vampire movie list without the original one, right? I'll admit that I haven't seen this film all the way through just yet, but it just seems fitting to include this film on a Best Vampire Movie list. Once I see it all the way through, I'll probably do a review of it.


2. Dracula (1933): Next is the original 1933 Dracula, starring Bela Lugosi. While Gary Oldman really brought his own fresh take to the titular character, it is Bela Lugosi who defined him and made him the classic monster he is today. Not much more to really say other than if you love vampire movies, put this, along with my number one pick, at the very top of your watch list.


1. The Lost Boys: At number one is the 1987 classic The Lost Boys. This one, to me, is just a perfect mix. It's got horror, comedy, action, and even a bit of romance. The fangs are just lined up perfectly and even the soundtrack, with songs like "People Are Strange" by The Doors and the film's theme "Cry Little Sister" by Gerard McMann is pretty nifty. Plus, the film has wonderful performances, including the ones by Corey Haim and Jason Patric as the two main brothers and Kiefer Sutherland as the chilling main villain David. This one isn't just the best vampire movie, in my opinion, but it is also one of my favorite movies.

So, that was my list of what I consider to be the Top 10 Vampire Movies. Whether you agree or disagree, or would like to add your own honorable mentions, please feel free to write in the comments section. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment