Friday, July 11, 2014

Trailer Talk #18: St.Vincent, Exodus: Gods and Kings, Wild, Unbroken, Gone Girl #2, Sin City: A Dame To Kill For

Hello, Bloggers, welcome to another episode of Trailer Talk, where I take six trailers for six upcoming movies and discuss whether I want to trade my rectangular or plastic green men to see them in the theaters. Let's take a look at what's coming out:

St. Vincent: First up is the trailer for the upcoming comedy-drama St. Vincent starring Bill Murray, Melissa McCarthy, and Naomi Watts. Now, before I saw the trailer, I figured it would be pretty good considering the talent behind it. But after watching it, I think it looks very promising and seems like it breaks the mold in the "coming-of-age" story. I like how Melissa McCarthy is going slightly more serious and how Bill Murray is doing a balancing dramedy. Naomi Watts actually seems pretty funny in this as she plays a Russian stripper and dons a thick Russian accent. Will I see it in theaters? Maybe, but I do hope to see it.



Exodus: Gods and Kings: Next up is the trailer for Exodus: Gods and Kings starring Christian Bale. This one is quite a case as I have strong hopes that it is not only better than the last Biblical film to come out this year (Noah) but better than director Ridley Scott's minor hiccup last year (The Counselor). It looks like it just might be as it has the always great Christian Bale in the lead as well as support from Sigourney Weaver, The Great Gatsby's Joel Edgerton, Ben Kingsley, and Breaking Bad's Aaron Paul. It even comes out at the end of the year, so it could be an Oscar contender, depending on how well it does. But regardless, I do want to see this in theaters.


Wild: Next up is the trailer for the potential Oscar bait film Wild starring Reese Witherspoon. As I noted in my last Trailer Talk, it looks like Witherspoon might be having a "McConaissance" of her own with the release of this film as well as The Good Lie, which are two films that might cater to the Academy with Wild being a biopic and The Good Lie being a white savior movie. However, between those two, I would say Wild looks like it might be more promising. The Good Lie just looks like The Blind Side 2.0. I don't know if I will actually run out to see Wild because it seems like it might cater too much to the Academy, but we'll see. 


Unbroken: Next is the trailer for another potential Oscar film Unbroken directed by Angelina Jolie. Like Wild, this looks like another film that might cater too much to the Academy, which doesn't make me warm up to it as much. But on a side note, Jolie's boyfriend Brad Pitt has another WWII film coming out, Fury, which I am really excited for. But this one, I'll just say "wait and see". It doesn't look terrible, but I won't be quick to pay money and see it just yet.



Gone Girl: Next is the second trailer for Gone Girl, starring Ben Affleck. Normally, I don't review the same movie twice on Trailer Talk, but I just can't contain my feelings about this new trailer. Holy Toledo, am I looking forward to this film! I love that David Fincher is directing this, I like the cast, the film just reeks of eerie mystery, and I LOVE that. I love seeing trailers for mysteries that are shrouded in mystery. Oh my god, I cannot wait for this!


Sin City: A Dame To Kill For: Finally is the trailer for the sequel Sin City: A Dame To Kill For. While I did get enjoyment out of the first one, whether I see this in theaters remains to be seen. I think it's pretty neat that Joseph Gordon-Levitt is in it and Eva Green seems like a good choice for this type of movie as well as the role she is playing. Most of the players from the first one are back, with the only ones not being Brittany Murphy and Michael Clarke Duncan for obvious reasons, Clive Owen because of something involving his character, and Devon Aoki due to maternity reasons. While the ones returning are quite exceptional, whether I see this in theaters remains to be seen. I'm guessing the reason I'm not too crazy about this one is that it's been such a while since the first one came out that seeing this just became an afterthought. But, we'll see.



So, that was my 18th episode of Trailer Talk. If you saw any of these trailers, then as always, I encourage you to write in the comments sections to share your thoughts. Also as always, my next episode will come after I see a new film in theaters or if I just catch a bunch of new trailers online. Until then, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment