Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Review: Frozen (2013)


                                 
                   
                                        'Frozen' Definitely Didn't Make Me Feel Left Out In The Cold   
                   I feel like recently I have moved on from animated films because I tend to feel I've outgrown them. But here comes an animated film that not only features a blend of the old-school storytelling and newer contemporary animation, but has helped rejuvenated my love for the type of films that I have enjoyed back in my childhood.

                    Story:
                    Frozen follows the story of two sisters: free-spirited Anna (Kristen Bell) and Elsa (Idina Menzel) who has the ability to conjure up snow. After Elsa is crowned queen in her kingdom, her powers are then revealed and once she leaves her kingdom in eternal winter, she is exiled from it. Anna then goes on the search for her with the help of an iceman named Kristoff (Jonathan Groff) and a snowman named Olaf (Josh Gad).

                    What I Liked About It:
                  One thing that I absolutely loved was how the film offers a blend of both old-fashioned storytelling with newer animation. It doesn't have the old look of the older Disney classics, but it definitely has a similar feel, as the main characters are princesses and there are happy catchy musical numbers. One thing I actually thought was pretty funny was when Anna is being scolded for being engaged to a prince she just met that day. It's not like any other Disney princess has ever done that, right? LOL. Anyways, I liked that part. Another thing I liked that was actually quite surprising was how the film focuses mainly on the sisters and their relationship and not a romance. Plus, even though the film does deal with an "act of true love" to break the curse and all that, not to spoil the movie, but it isn't the one you're probably thinking of and I also really liked that and thought it fits the theme of the movie.

                 I also thought the voice performances were fabulous. Kristen Bell was brilliant as Anna, the sister who is more free-spirited and feisty yet naive. She carries both comedic and dramatic weight to her performance. Josh Gad was a scene stealer as the more optimistic snowman Olaf and Jonathan Groff was also fantastic as Kristoff as he really makes you want his character on your side. I also thought Groff's musical number "Reindeers Are Better Than People" was pretty neat. Honestly, "Reindeers" is my second favorite musical number behind "Let It Go", which I will get to next. Holy crap, did Idina Menzel nail "Let It Go" or what? Not only was Menzel very good with her voice performance, but she really captures the feeling of her character's transition as she emotes this wonderful song. Thank you, Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez for creating such magical songs for the soundtrack and you guys definitely deserved the Oscar for "Let It Go".

                What I Didn't Like About It:
               Nothing.

                Consensus:
               Overall, Frozen is a fantastic treat for the whole family that I would say shouldn't be given the "cold shoulder". It has brilliant animation, catchy musical numbers, a powerful message: Anything you can ask from a Disney animated film that is destined to be a classic.

Grade: A


           

No comments:

Post a Comment