Thursday, May 22, 2014

Trailer Talk #16: Foxcatcher, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, The Fault in Our Stars, The Homesman, As Above So Below, Interstellar

Hello, Bloggers, welcome to another episode of Trailer Talk, where I take trailers of upcoming films that I watch on the Internet or at the movies and discuss whether or not I will see them in theaters. Let's take a look at a fair few I watched online. Here we go:

Foxcatcher: First up is the trailer for the upcoming Oscar contender Foxcatcher starring Steve Carell, Mark Ruffalo, and Channing Tatum. Now, this film initially was set to be released last year but ended up getting cold feet before the crowded awards season. It is making its premiere at Cannes now and there is already plenty of awards buzz surrounding Steve Carell for his dramatic turn as paranoid schizophrenic wrestling coach John Du Pont. I think it looks very promising and the trailer gave me the chills a bit. I'll probably see this in theaters and hopefully it doesn't end up like an ill-received film that was just shown at Cannes that also got Oscar cold feet last year: Grace of Monaco starring Nicole Kidman.


Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day: Now onto another film Steve Carell has set for release this year, the Disney comedy Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, also starring Jennifer Garner. I think this one is based on a children's novel, about a kid who always has a bad day and one day, he and his family have practically the worst day of their life. This film definitely seems to have a good message about getting through the bad days to get to the good, but I don't really know if I would rush out and see it in theaters. If it is on Starz or whatever, I would maybe give it a watch. But it doesn't look like something I would see in theaters.


The Fault In Our Stars: Next is the film adaptation of the YA book The Fault In Our Stars, starring Divergent's Shailene Woodley. Now, I had originally planned to read the book before the film comes out, but I actually want to get through the Divergent series first. Anyways, the film itself has a lot of promise and it looks like Hollywood is luckily really taking notice of Shailene Woodley since her breakthrough role in The Descendants. Whether I actually see this in theaters remains to be seen, but I will definitely check it out somehow.


The Homesman: Next is another film that was just shown at Cannes, The Homesman starring Tommy Lee Jones and Hilary Swank. This is a smaller western film that is about Jones and Swank who travel from Nebraska to Iowa to transport three insane women. Jones also directed this and in the trailer, there were some beautiful shots that were almost like looking at a painting, so I'm already liking the way he directed it. Would I see it in theaters, though? Maybe. Though it seems like a potential Oscar contender on paper because of its cast that also includes John Lithgow, Hailee Steinfeld, and Meryl Streep who we only see for a milli-second in the trailer, and the fact it is a period piece. But, we'll see.


As Above, So Below: Next is a trailer for an actual horror film called As Above, So Below. This looks like it is another one of those "found footage" movies that have become a trend because of the ungodly horrendous Paranormal Activity. (I still hate that movie). Anyways, it deals with a group of explorers who travel the catacombs of Paris and you can pretty much figure out the rest for yourself. They get trapped and a bunch of supernatural stuff happens. I will more than likely just skip this and find solstice in much older horror films.


Interstellar: Finally is one of my most anticipated movies of the year: Christopher Nolan's Interstellar. I might have already done the teaser trailer when it came out, but I always make exceptions when there is a film coming out that is highly, and I mean HIGHLY, on my radar. Interstellar is definitely high on my radar and now that we have a full-length trailer, I still want to know more, which means I am seeing this in theaters, no ifs, ands, or buts.


So, that was episode #16 of Trailer Talk and I hope you enjoyed it. As always, my next episode will come when I watch some more new trailers online or at the movies. Until then, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment