Thursday, May 1, 2014

Review: Thor: The Dark World

                                               
                     
                                  'Thor' Is Not Exactly 'Dark', Yet Still Doesn't Exactly Come To Light

                    In a world where there is plenty of superhero movies, there is bound to be a few that stick out like a dreadful asteroid that slowly but powerfully strike Earth. I would definitely say Thor: The Dark World is definitely one of them.

                    Story:
                  Thor: The Dark World follows the title character Thor (Chris Hemsworth) as he finds himself fighting a new enemy that comes in the form of the Dark Elves, led by Malekith (Christopher Eccleston). As he faces Malekith, he finds his beloved Jane Foster (Natalie Portman) in peril and enlists the help of his adopted brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston).

                  What I Liked About It:
                This section might actually be pretty short. But I did think Chris Hemsworth once again did a great job playing Thor. Even though, in my opinion, Loki served NO purpose to the film, I did enjoy Tom Hiddleston as Loki. Both actors have truly lived and breathed their respective characters and at this point, I can hardly see anybody else play their characters. Kat Dennings also provides nice comic relief as Jane's intern Darcy like she did in the first film. Plus, the film's visuals looked pretty cool as did the makeup effects.

                 What I Didn't Like About It:
                Where should I begin? First off, I'll say that not only does Loki serve no purpose to the plot, but the film is unsure of what his motives are. At times, he's kind of good and others, he is kind of bad. Not only that, but because Loki is freed from prison to aid Thor in battle, the film ripped off Silence of the Lambs, which also involves a villain helping the main hero fight or capture another villain. Speaking of which, the film's main villain, Malekith, is very undeveloped and gives me no reason to be terrified of him even after (SPOILER ALERT) he kills his own right-hand man in the middle of the film.

                The film is even sort of unsure of its own identity. There are times when the film is dreadfully serious, yet there are more lighthearted moments which are just suddenly thrown in for humorous measure. Even in the film's climax, it jumps from serious to funny in a matter of minutes. Speaking of the climax, it is so overdone and bloated and while I watching it, I found myself going "Ugh!". There was even one point in the film where I thought about shutting it off, but I didn't because if I can make it half way through The English Patient, I can make it through any other piece of cinematic crud.

               Consensus:
              Despite its solid performances from the two lead actors, Thor: The Dark World is a bloated, indecisive mess. The visuals are great, but those do not make a film. I would not recommend this to even the biggest Marvel fans. Trust me, just watch the first one instead. This sequel is just made to hold Marvel fans off until The Avengers: Age of Ultron comes out. So this is ljust an appetizer before we can all get to our meal.

Rating: 2/5



       

No comments:

Post a Comment