Friday, May 16, 2014

Top 10: Winners/Nominees for Best Original Song

Hello, Bloggers, for today, I figured I'd do something a little more interesting and do a list of what are, in my opinion, the best winners and nominees for the Oscar for Best Original Song. This list is also a slight change of pace because it includes films that I haven't seen yet, but just songs I've listened to from those films. Here we go:

10. Accidentally In Love by Counting Crows, Shrek 2 (2004): Starting off my list is the opening song from Shrek 2 from one of my favorite bands, the Counting Crows. That song is Accidentally In Love which is a nice tune that just makes you cheerful and really captures the feeling of being in love.


9. Father And Daughter by Paul Simon, The Wild Thornberrys Movie (2002):  You can tell a song comes from the heart when it really tugs at your heartstrings and makes you misty-eyed every time you listen to it. The song Father and Daughter from The Wild Thornberrys Movie is a song written by Paul Simon for his daughter and from the soft guitar tune to the heartfelt lyrics, it will be bound to make you cry. Especially, if you are a father and have a daughter or even son of your own.


8. Blame Canada by Trey Parker and Marc Shaiman, South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (1999): Now onto a bit more lighter territory, the song "Blame Canada" from the satirical film South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut takes a jab at the country Canada when the parents of South Park blame them for their kids being more crude and using profanity. The song is short and sweet but may offer a quick laugh when you listen to it.


7. Jai Ho by A.R. Rahman, Slumdog Millionaire (2004): Now onto the first winner on this list, Jai Ho from the Best Picture winner Slumdog Millionaire. I'll admit, despite my disdain for the film itself, this was one of the few Oscars this movie did deserve. Even though I can't understand the lyrics, I just can't help but always listen to it. I don't know what it is.


6. Skyfall by Adele, Skyfall (2012): The next winner on this list, Skyfall is the first Bond theme to win the Oscar for Best Original Song, and with good reason. The song really captures the dark feel of the film and the way Adele sings it is amazing and puts together the lyrics is nothing short of brilliant. I'll admit, not a whole lot of the Bond themes I've listened to are all that memorable, but this one will hold up pretty well.


5. That Thing You Do! by The Wonders, That Thing You Do! (1996): I'll bet plenty of people will be surprised to know this was even nominated for the Best Original Song Oscar. But it was, and with good reason. It is a very fun and catchy tune that I remember asking my mom to play over and over in the car when I was younger. Plus, it was made famous by a fictional band, so that's something.


4. I've Seen It All by Bjork, Dancer in the Dark (2000): I may not have seen Dancer in the Dark in its entirety yet, but the song I've Seen It All still makes it on this list anyway. The song deals with Bjork's character singing about going blind and how there is nothing left for her to see. The genius of this song is it has a nice beat, but the song itself has almost an underlying tragedy.


3. Lose Yourself by Eminem, 8 Mile (2002): Even if you are not the biggest rap fan, you got to love wins like this just because it is a nice change of pace. But they chose this song with good reason, I would say, because it is a nice power anthem that deals with seizing what could be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and even tells the story of the film itself. This song could be used as a motivator for a big game or something along those lines.


2. Let It Go by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez, Frozen (2013): I have a feeling some will sigh at the sight of the song on this list because of how it is pretty overexposed, but I just can't resist putting it on here. One reason is, like my number 1 pick on this list, it is a perfect blend of song and singer. Idina Menzel really captures the emotion of this female empowerment song and the way she sings it just gives you chills. Plus, like most of the songs on this list, I can't help but always listen to and sing this wonderful song.


1. Over The Rainbow by Harold Arlen and Yip Harburg, The Wizard of Oz (1939): While Let It Go is a perfect blend of song and singer, I would say Over The Rainbow offers THE perfect blend of song and singer that has stood the test of time. Judy Garland sings it beautifully and in a very calming way, and the song really captures how we feel the need to go to a happier place without any troubles. Whether you are stressed or calm, this song will just bring you to a happy place when you listen to it.



So, those were my picks for the top 10 best winners and nominees for the Oscar for Best Original Song. If there is any other song you would like to add, then please feel free to write in the comments section. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment