Saturday, May 11, 2013

Trailer Talk #4: The Butler, Captain Phillips, Gravity, August: Osage County, Inside Llewyn Davis


Hello, Bloggers, here is another episode of Trailer Talk. This time, I will be discussing trailers for movies that are getting potential Oscar love. I will not only discuss whether or not I will see each film in theaters, but I will discuss why each film will get some Oscar love, and here we go:

 

The Butler: First off, is the trailer for The Butler, which stars...a lot of people! (Forest Whitaker, Oprah Winfrey, Robin Williams, Alan Rickman, Jane Fonda, James Marsden, John Cusack, Cuba Gooding, Jr., Melissa Leo, Terrence Howard, the list goes on) and is directed by Lee Daniels, who also did Precious. When I first heard about this movie, it left me a bit curious for some reason, but now that I saw the trailer, I really want to see this movie. Because it is a historical film and has a large ensemble cast, it has potential to snag some golden statues next March, and I think I will see this in theaters.

 

Captain Phillips: Next up is the trailer for Captain Phillips, starring Tom Hanks and is directed by Paul Greengrass, who also did United 93 and the second and third Bourne movies. Up until I saw the trailer, I had no idea that it was based on a true story, as it is about a U.S. ship being invaded by Somali pirates. The fact that it is a true story could garner the film some Oscar love. Being a Tom Hanks fan, I may check this out in theaters.

 

Gravity: Next up is the trailer for a movie that I am REALLY excited for, and that is the trailer for Gravity, starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney and is directed by Alfonso Cuaron, who also did Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and Children of Men. Now, what makes this film so intriguing is that it is literally just George Clooney and Sandra Bullock orbiting in space and I'm quite curious about how it'll play out, but that's what makes it so interesting. No doubt I will see this in theaters.

 
August: Osage County: Next up is the trailer for another ensemble piece and potential Oscar-caliber film: August: Osage County. Now, this film seems to have Oscar potential because of a few reasons: One is that it's got Meryl Streep, and it's no secret the Academy loves her. Another possible reason is that it's based on a Pulitzer-winning play, which could be a good sign, and it's an ensemble piece. I might check this out in theaters.


Inside Llewyn Davis: Lastly is the trailer for Inside Llewyn Davis, starring Oscar Isaac, whom who right remember as Blue from Sucker Punch, Carey Mulligan, John Goodman, and Justin Timberlake, and is directed by the Coen Brothers. The directors alone could give the film some Oscar love and the fact that it is a film about music, much like Once and Walk The Line, who managed to garner some Oscars. I may check this out in theaters, but if I don't I'll just rent it on DVD.

So, that was episode #4 of Trailer Talk, and I will definitely do another episode soon, either when I see my next movie or when I see five or six more trailers online. Until then, have a wonderful day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment