Saturday, May 11, 2013

Retro Review: The Nutty Professor (1996)

 
 
 
                                           A 'Nutty' Comedy That I Just Can't Help But Love
    
                     For my next Retro Review, I figured I'd do a review of my favorite comedy, which is the remake of The Nutty Professor.
 
                    Story:
                   The Nutty Professor is about an obese yet kind-hearted college professor named Sherman Klump (Eddie Murphy) who decides to create a weight loss formula, which he uses and he develops a skinnier, yet mean-spirited alter ego named Buddy Love. Along the way, he falls in love with a young and pretty colleague named Carla Purty (Jada Pinkett Smith).
 
                  What I Liked About It:
                 First and foremost, the thing I loved the most about the film was Eddie Murphy. With this film, he proves why is one of my favorite comedians as he plays multiple roles and is able to blend into those roles. I swear, in the scenes where he plays Sherman's family, I forget that it's Eddie Murphy playing all those roles. There are even a few scenes in the film where he showcases some dramatic depth in his performance.

                 Another thing I liked was how that it is not only a solid comedy, but it also is a morality tale, as it teaches you that life is not about being happy about how much you weigh, but just being happy with yourself.

                  What I Didn't Like About It:
                 Nothing.

                  Consensus:
                 Overall, The Nutty Professor is a hilarious, yet touching comedy that to this day, remains my favorite comedy and every time I watch it, it never gets old.

Rating: 5/5
  
 
       
 

No comments:

Post a Comment