Monday, June 8, 2015

Trailer Talk #28: Bridge of Spies, Macbeth, Suffragette, The Walk, The Martian, Steve Jobs

Hello, Bloggers, welcome to another episode of Trailer Talk. This is a special Oscar edition as here, we have films that will potentially be in the conversation. Here we go:


Bridge of Spies: First up is the trailer for Bridge of Spies directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Tom Hanks. This one I have incredibly mixed feelings about. One reason is that it doesn't seem like my cup of tea. Another is that while I love Steven Spielberg, his last film Lincoln was a real chore to sit through so that has me curious about whether this will fare nay better. He is reuniting with Tom Hanks and they did create magic with Catch Me If You Can and Saving Private Ryan. But can lighting strike thrice? We'll see. I'll probably see it if it gets positive buzz. But if it ends up being this year's Unbroken, it might be a rental.


Macbeth: Next up is the latest adaptation of Macbeth starring Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard. Just so you guys know, I am NOT a Shakespeare fan. Reading his work in high school was more painful than having your teeth slowly plucked from your mouth. But I am super excited for this. You might ask why, that is. Three words: Mikey and Marion. These two are some of the best working today and anything they touch becomes a marvel to watch on screen. The film also looks gorgeous and looks like it'll have some cool battle sequences. Only those two actors can get me to Shakespeare.


Suffragette: Next is the film Suffragette starring Carey Mulligan, Helena Bonham Carter, and Meryl Streep. It seems like perfect timing to release this after Patricia Arquette's rousing acceptance speech at the Oscars about equal rights for women since this film deals with the women's suffrage movement in Britain. But the trailer has me completely unsure about its prospects. One reason is that it looks a bit too one-sided as it shows the women essentially engaging in warfare because they feel that men are treating them unfairly yet so far, we don't really get the point of view of the men. While it is nice that we see the women's side, we don't see the opposing side to create a gray area. Will I see this in theaters? Probably not if it doesn't fare well. If it does, I'll give it a view. Hopefully, I'm proven wrong by its apparent one-sided direction.


The Walk: Next is the latest biopic The Walk starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Philippe Petit, the man who walked on a tight rope from one of the Twin Towers to the other. Now, this one I am unsure about seeing in theaters. Not because it looks terrible, by any means. But because I have a fear of heights and some of the shots of Petit walking on the tight rope gave me an uneasy feeling. So, I worry that if I saw it on the big screen, I will be tossing and turning in my seat. If it fares well in the awards circuit, I'll be brave and give it a try, but if not, my money will be spent elsewhere.


The Martian: Next is the trailer for The Martian starring Matt Damon. When I first heard about this one, I was unsure about whether I would check it out. The chief reason is director Ridley Scott. He did give us Alien and lately, he achieved with Prometheus. But the less said about The Counselor, the better. So he has had a spotty record as of late. After watching the trailer for this one, however, I might have been sold. One reason is Matt Damon, who looks like he is doing a fantastic job. He also has quite a cast surrounding him including Jessica Chastain, Jeff Daniels, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Kate Mara, Jeff Daniels, and even Kristen Wiig. It also looks slightly different from other space movies we have seen as of late, like Gravity and Interstellar, so that's another thing that has me pretty hopeful.


Steve Jobs: Lastly is the teaser for Steve Jobs starring Michael Fassbender as the titular character. This is one that I am being hopeful for due to those involved: Fassbender, Kate Winslet, Seth Rogen, writer Aaron Sorkin and director Danny Boyle. Some are worried about its prospects due to the fact that Michael Fassbender looks little like Steve Jobs. But to me, that doesn't matter. As long as he delivers, who cares about his resemblance. They did make him look quite a bit like Jobs, though. The teaser, though, gave me vibes of The Social Network, which might be a good sign because that was quite a success. I will likely see this one in theaters and cross my fingers it does well.

Here are my final ratings:

5-Gotta See It!
4-More Than Likely
3-Eh, You've Peaked My Interest
2-Rental
1-NO!

Bridge of Spies-Rental
Macbeth-Gotta See It!
Suffragette-Rental
The Walk-Rental
The Martian-Eh, You've Peaked My Interest
Steve Jobs-More Than Likely

So those are my thoughts on the trailers for these upcoming Oscar players. Be sure to share your thoughts in the comments section about how they might pan out. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment