Thursday, June 11, 2015

Topic Of The Day: The Kind Of Acceptance Speech I Hate

Hello, Bloggers, welcome to another episode of Topic Of The Day. Just as a heads up, this will potentially be my last post about the Oscars for a short while as I go into the kind of acceptance speech I hate when people accept their trophies at the various awards shows, especially the Oscars. Here we go:

Now, whenever someone's name is announced and they go up to the stage to say a few words, what I usually don't like is when the actor acts SO surprised and is all "Oh my god! I didn't expect this!". Even if the actor doesn't actually say those words, they still say words in that context and appear all stunned even if they are still a frontrunner and have their respective award all sealed up. While those that present those speeches seem to be the ones that want the award the most, at the same time, they're still presenting this feigned humility for a golden trophy. It's not like being a senior on the college basketball team and losing the National Championship because that only happens once while the Oscars take place every year. So if you lost on one try, there is always next year.

That is what sort of bugged me about Eddie Redmayne's Oscar win. Not necessarily because he had all the time in the world to win his first Oscar and not just because he worked the campaign circuit like he owed voters child support. In other words, he campaigned HARD and I prefer to see the actor's work speak for itself. But even though he was the frontrunner going into the ceremony, he was still acting all surprised and I'm just like "Really, dude?" I mean, he almost had it in the bag. He still gave a great performance, but it just bugged me that he didn't want people to essentially say otherwise by maybe awarding someone else. An Oscar may be the most prestigious film trophy there is and it's an honor for any filmmaker to win one. But at the end of the day, it's still just a trophy.

This is why I prefer speeches like the ones J.K. Simmons gave. Even if he gave similar speeches and seemed like he knew he was going to win every time, he was still genuine and still seemed grateful. He thanked who he needed to, said a few funny quips, and then walked off the stage. He didn't seem too eager to win because he let the work speak for itself. Even Michael Keaton was the same way.

So those are my thoughts on the kind of acceptance speech that I hate seeing actors give throughout the awards circuit. Whether you agree or disagree, please feel free to write your thoughts in the comments section. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment