Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Oscars 2015: SAG Nominees Reactions

Hello, Bloggers, they just announced the nominees for the 21st Screen Actors Guild Awards and here, I will post my immediate reactions to the nominees. I'll go into who I was happy with along with who got snubbed and who the surprises were. But, I will focus more on the film categories, though. Let's take a look:

Best Ensemble:
Birdman
Boyhood
Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Theory of Everything

So far, I did really well with this category, as I saw everyone of these nominees except The Imitation Game because it hasn't played where I live yet. But, out of the picks I have seen so far, my pick would go to Birdman. It was quite a surprise to see Theory of Everything on here though as I thought the film focused more on the two leads than the actual ensemble. It reminds me of when Dallas Buyers Club got in last year even though more of the love was on the two main actors. But, it feels pretty good knowing I don't have a whole lot of homework in this category thus far. But one shocker was seeing Into The Woods omitted from this list. Usually, they nominate the ensemble when a musical is in contention, but surprisingly not here. But, luckily I am a guy who likes these types of surprises.

Best Male Actor In A Leading Role:

Steve Carell, Foxcatcher
Benedict Cumberbatch, The Imitation Game
Jake Gyllenhaal, Nightcrawler
Michael Keaton, Birdman
Eddie Redmayne, Theory of Everything

I was very pleased to see Jake Gyllenhaal for his physically and mentally transformative work in Nightcrawler. That was a pleasant surprise for sure. So far, the only two nominees I haven't seen for Carell and Cumberbatch, but I'll get on that once their films play in my area. But the nominees that I have seen are very solid.

Best Female Actor In A Leading Role:

Jennifer Aniston, Cake
Felicity Jones, Theory of Everything
Julianne Moore, Still Alice
Rosamund Pike, Gone Girl
Reese Witherspoon, Wild

The surprise of this category is without a doubt Jennifer Aniston in Cake. This surprise has me worrying about Marion Cotillard, though, since Cotillard has won a few key critics awards and a SAG nomination would really give her momentum. She could still have a chance at the Globes, but we'll see. The other nominees weren't huge surprises, though. I was sort of hoping the surprise in this category would be either Marion Cotillard or even Jenny Slate for Obvious Child, but a fella can dream, right? But with Aniston's nomination, I guess I have to see Cake.

Best Male Actor In A Supporting Role:

Robert Duvall, The Judge
Ethan Hawke, Boyhood
Edward Norton, Birdman
Mark Ruffalo, Foxcatcher
J.K. Simmons, Whiplash

Surprisingly, I got all of these predictions right. I even figured Robert Duvall would get in because the SAGs love veterans and they love Robert Duvall. Thankfully, Ethan Hawke got in and Edward Norton as well. So far, I haven't seen The Judge because I missed it and Foxcatcher because it still isn't playing in my area. But, like with most of the other categories, I don't have a whole lot of homework to do, thankfully.

Best Female Actor In A Supporting Role:

Patricia Arquette, Boyhood
Keira Knightley, The Imitation Game
Emma Stone, Birdman
Meryl Streep, Into The Woods
Naomi Watts, St. Vincent

Now, for this category, I have a bit of homework to do as the only two nominees I have seen so far are Arquette and Stone. But, it was quite a shocker to see Naomi Watts in here for St. Vincent. When they announced her name, for a second, I figured they'd nominate her for Birdman, but she is still a double nominee nevertheless for Best Supporting Actress and Best Ensemble for Birdman. If it didn't go to Watts, though, I had a feeling it would go to either Laura Dern or Jessica Chastain for A Most Violent Year or, and this is me being optimistic, Carrie Coon for Gone Girl. But I like Naomi Watts and I love how we have a surprise like this. Still have to see St. Vincent, though.


Overall, I was very pleased with the list of nominees. There were some surprises I was very happy with and some shocking omissions. But, I am pleased with how the list of nominees turned out. Please feel free to share your thoughts on the nominees and even feel free to write who you felt got snubbed. Tomorrow, the Golden Globe nominations will be announced and I will certainly be covering those. Until then, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment