Thursday, January 16, 2014

Oscars 2014 Nominees: My Reactions


Hello, Bloggers, one day that I've waited a long time for has finally come: Oscar Nomination Day! They have just announced the nominees and let me just say, I am quite surprised yet excited by that list. I will discuss which nominees I was most excited about, who got snubbed and which nominees had me going "Wow!" out of shock. Here we go:


First I will get into the snubs. While I was pleased that Captain Phillips got nominated for Best Picture, and that Barkhad Abdi got nominated for Best Supporting Actor his impressive debut, unfortunately, his co-star Tom Hanks didn't get nominated. Also, Saving Mr. Banks was one of the best films that came out last year, yet got at least one for Best Original Score and no nod for Emma Thompson or even Best Picture. Even though I haven't seen the film yet, I was quite shocked to see Daniel Bruhl get snubbed for his supporting turn in Rush since he was nominated for every precursor award. Although at least he was lucky to get as far as he did. Plus, seeing Oprah Winfrey and The Butler get snubbed was a bit of a shock as well. But the nominee that really had me going "Wow!" was seeing Jonah Hill's name announced when they were announcing the nominees for Best Supporting Actor. I remember putting him as a dark horse contender when I updated my picks for Best Supporting Actor, but I was still pretty surprised.

Now I'll get into which nominees I was most excited about. I LOVED that Sally Hawkins got nominated for her supporting turn in Blue Jasmine. I thought she was outstanding and I could not be happier that she got nominated. I was also glad to see Leonardo DiCaprio get recognition for The Wolf of Wall Street with his nod for Best Actor and to see Bradley Cooper get nominated for his supporting turn in American Hustle. There is also Michael Fassbender getting nominated for 12 Years A Slave, which I was relieved about because I was worried he would get snubbed like last time when he was in contention for Shame, and Lupita Nyong'o getting nominated for her performance as well, which I was also happy about. I say good for her because it is her first film and landed her role in 12 Years right after graduating from the Yale School of Drama. Even though Spike Jonze didn't get nominated for Best Director, I was still happy to see him get a nod for Best Original Screenplay. Lastly, and certainly not least, I want to give a huge congratulations to Miss Jennifer Lawrence for scoring her 3rd Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actress for American Hustle and at the young age of 23!

One thing that I thought was pretty neat was that I saw two of the films nominated for Best Foreign Language Film: The Broken Circle Breakdown and The Hunt. I saw those at my Sunday Cinema Club and to see them get nominated at the Oscars is pretty neat. Same with the one nominee for Best Documentary that I saw: 20 Feet From Stardom, which I really liked.

So those were my thoughts on the Oscar nominations. If you've read them, then please feel free to write down what you thought about the list of nominees and feel free to write what actor or film you thought got snubbed. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment