Wednesday, December 11, 2013

12 Movies of Christmas: It's A Wonderful Life (1946)

Hello, Bloggers, for today's review for the 12 Movies of Christmas, I figured I'd discuss a film that is a timeless and Oscar-nominated Christmas classic. That film is the holiday classic known as It's A Wonderful Life. 

                         Story:
                   It's A Wonderful Life is about an everyman named George Bailey (Jimmy Stewart) who has always wanted to travel the world, yet because he makes commitments to his loved ones and friends, he never accomplishes that dream. Plus, he always has to face the tyrannical businessman named Mr. Potter (Lionel Barrymore) who keeps trying to overrun the town. One night, Bailey meets his guardian angel Clarence Odbody (Henry Travers) and makes a wish that he was never born. When Clarence grants that wish, he shows him just what life would be like if he was never born.

                  What I Liked About It:
                 One thing that I liked about this film was how it conveys the message that "no man is a failure who has friends". That message pretty much means that those who think they are failing at life because things don't go according to their plan aren't if they have many supporters or if they have touched many lives. After I watched this film and grasped the film's message, it made me feel very good about myself and I hope that those who watch it feel the same way and appreciate the people in their life they have been blessed with like I have. Honestly, this is the only film that I've seen where I have cried tears of happiness. Normally, when I watch a film that is upsetting, I get very teary, but never have I cried tears of happiness, so watching this was definitely a unique experience.

                 Another thing I really liked was Jimmy Stewart's performance. Stewart's character is pretty much the ultimate everyman, I would say because George is someone who is an average Joe who is placed in rough and extraordinary circumstances. Stewart gives a performance full of emotions ranging from happy to angry to brave, and I am certainly glad he got an Oscar nod for his performance. Lionel Barrymore is also outstanding as the polar opposite of George Bailey: Mr. Potter who, unlike George Bailey who is very giving and is beloved by many, is lonely, uncaring, and a slimy businessman. He is pretty much the kind of guy that you hope doesn't exist in real life, but sadly, there are people like him. But George Bailey is somebody that many people can relate to as there are many people who are bitter about being hardly able to live their dreams yet don't recognize the good in their life.

                What I Didn't Like About It:
                Nothing.

                Consensus:
               Overall, It's A Wonderful Life is a timeless classic that'll have you feeling 'wonderful' by the time it is over. I can't say enough good things about it other than that and hopefully, if you do watch it, by the time it is over, you will be thinking the name of the title about your own life.

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment