Friday, June 21, 2013

Trailer Talk #7: The Heat, The World's End, Anchorman 2, The Wolf of Wall Street, Blue Jasmine, The Spectacular Now


Hello, Bloggers, welcome to another episode of Trailer Talk. On today's Trailer Talk, I will review technically two trailers that I saw in theaters and four that I watched online. It's a long story why I'm reviewing two trailers I saw in theaters, so I won't go into any further details, but as I usually do I'll start off with the trailers I saw in theaters. So, here we go:

The Heat: First up is the trailer for The Heat, starring Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy. Now, I think both women are very funny and from the looks of the trailer, they seem to have great comedic chemistry in a film that does a gender twist on the "buddy cop" genre, but I don't feel like this is a film I would see in theaters, for some reason. I might check it out in theaters.

The World's End: Next up is the trailer for The World's End, starring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost and is directed by frequent collaborator Edgar Wright, who also directed them in Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. So, since Shaun of the Dead parodies the zombie genre, and Hot Fuzz parodies cop films, it looks like the triple team of Pegg, Frost, and Wright are now heading into sci-fi territory as this film deals with aliens. I feel like I should see either Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz first if I want to see this in theaters, but if I don't, I'll still check it out when it's on TV.

Anchorman 2: Next up is the trailer for the only sequel on this list, Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues. Now, I actually saw the teaser trailer for this when I went to go see The Internship and This Is The End, but while I was just on the IMDB looking for trailers to review, I figured I'd watch and review the newest trailer they just posted. So, I did, and I think this sequel looks like it has a lot of promise. It's got the merry band from the first one: David Koechner, Paul Rudd, Steve Carell and of course, Ron Burgundy himself, Will Ferrell, so that's a good sign. It even has an interesting new band of actors, which includes Kristen Wiig, James Marsden, Meagan Good, and I hear there'll even be cameos from stars like Nicole Kidman and Jim Carrey. I'll have to watch the first film in its entirety before I see this in theaters and I think I will.

The Wolf of Wall Street: Next up is the trailer for the newest Leonardo DiCaprio-Martin Scorsese vehicle The Wolf of Wall Street. Now, I've made no secret that Scorsese is one of my favorite directors and I really like DiCaprio. But what really makes me interested in this is how it looks different from Scorsese's previous films. This film looks like it'll be a dark comedy, something that I don't think Scorsese has done before. Since Scorsese is a huge favorite of mine, I feel like I'm obligated to see this in theaters.

Blue Jasmine: Next up is the trailer for Blue Jasmine, starring Cate Blanchett and Alec Baldwin. While I have just talked about a film made by one of my favorite directors, Marin Scorsese, this film is made by a director who I've started to become fond of: Woody Allen. Now, the only other Woody Allen film that I've seen is Midnight in Paris and I really liked that film, but when I watched the trailer for this film, I was quickly intrigued. Because it's a Sony Pictures Classics film, it'll more than likely get a limited release, but hopefully it plays in a theater nearest me.

The Spectacular Now: Lastly is the trailer for the Sundance hit The Spectacular Now. Now, this is a film that seems like a typical high school "coming-of-age" story, but it's got quite a stellar cast, which includes Shailene Woodley, Kyle Chandler, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Brie Larson, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and even Dayo Okeniyi, who played Thresh in The Hunger Games. Also, what appears to make this "coming-of-age" story different from others is how it showcases two teenagers living for the moment with no thoughts of tomorrow and just living in the "spectacular now". Plus, because I'm such an indie film buff, I may give this film a chance, whether I see it in theaters or on TV.

So, that was episode #7 of Trailer Talk and I will post episode #8 soon, whether it is when I go to the movies again or whether I catch some new trailers online. But until then, have a good one, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment