Thursday, March 6, 2014

Trailer Talk #13: The Grand Budapest Hotel, Only Lovers Left Alive, Nymphomaniac, Transformers: Age of Extinction, Guardians of the Galaxy, A Million Ways to Die in the West

Hello, Bloggers, welcome to another episode of Trailer Talk. For today's episode, I figured I'd do a blend of both smaller scale films and more larger scale films. I'll start off with the reviews of the trailers for three smaller indie films. Here we go:


The Grand Budapest Hotel: I'll start off with The Grand Budapest Hotel, which is directed by indie king Wes Anderson, who also did Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, and Moonrise Kingdom. Now, the film looks cool because it is very colorful and has a terrific cast (Ralph Fiennes, Adrien Brody, Willem Dafoe, Saoirse Ronan, Tilda Swinton, Harvey Keitel, Edward Norton, Jeff Goldblum, Bill Murray, etc.), but the reason I have mixed feelings about seeing this one is because of how much I loathed Moonrise Kingdom. I might watch some of Anderson's earlier work and give him another shot, or maybe keep an open mind and see this, but I'm not holding my breath on seeing it in theaters.



Only Lovers Left Alive: Next is the indie vampire flick Only Lovers Left Alive, also starring Tilda Swinton and stars Loki himself, Tom Hiddleston. Now, this is a film that I would love to see. It looks very interesting and it is pretty neat that since we had the whole vampire craze thanks to Twilight, this film takes vampires and brings them to the arthouse genre. Hopefully, this plays at the indie film theatre near me.


Nymphomaniac: The last small scale film I will discuss is Nymphomaniac, which is directed by the amazing yet highly controversial Lars Von Trier. I am quite fond of Lars Von Trier's work and one of his films, Breaking the Waves, is one of my favorite movies, so I am quite intrigued by this film. By looking at the title, you can get the sense of what it is about. The film's main character is a nymphomaniac who tells a psychiatrist her life story. It has some recognizable names like Willem Dafoe, Connie Nielsen, Christian Slater, Shia LaBeouf, and even Uma Thurman. I don't know whether it'll play near me, but I hope to give it a view one of these days.


Transformers: Age of Extinction: Now on to slightly more familiar territory, starting off with Transformers: Age of Extinction. I'll be honest, I am not a HUGE fan of Transformers and I never played with the toys growing up. I saw the first and third films, but parts of the second one. They are amazing to look at, but I wouldn't they are the best things since sliced bread. They got Mark Wahlberg this time around, who I like as an actor, and the film looks amazing, but I worry that the special effects will be the only thing going for it and it'll be like a cake that looks delicious but has no taste. I might skip it.
 

Guardians of the Galaxy: Next is the upcoming Marvel pic Guardians of the Galaxy. This one I am actually very excited about. I grew up on Marvel more than I did on DC and I am interested by almost anything Marvel comes out with on the silver screen. For you superhero fans who don't know who the Guardians of the Galaxy are, they are an eclectic group of intergalactic warriors: Star-Lord, a human with space heritage, Gamora, a deadly sword-wielding female assassin, Groot, a living tree, Rocket Raccoon, a foul-mouthed gun-wielding alien whose species resembles raccoons, and Drax, a green-skinned alien with brutal strength. Not only do I want to see this because it looks cool and I am interested by the whole Guardians of the Galaxy mythos, but Rocket Raccoon is being voiced by Bradley Cooper, and I'll watch almost anything he is in these days. No doubt I am seeing this in theaters.


A Million Ways to Die in the West: Finally, I'll get into the upcoming comedy A Million Ways to Die in the West, which is being made by Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane. Like with Bradley Cooper, I'll watch anything done by Seth MacFarlane at this point. I watch Family Guy reruns religiously, and I loved Ted and can't wait for Ted 2. Plus, I don't give a crap what anyone says, he was an awesome Oscar host and I would love to see him host the Oscars again. Anyways, not only does this film look funny, but it has quite a cast also: Seth MacFarlane, Charlize Theron, Liam Neeson, Neil Patrick Harris, Amanda Seyfried, and Sarah Silverman. Not normally a fan of westerns, but if it is a Western done by Seth MacFarlane, there is no doubt I am seeing it in theaters.

So, that was episode #13 of Trailer Talk, and episode #14 will come up either when I see a bunch of new trailers on the Internet or after I see Divergent because as of now, there is NOTHING out I want to see. Until then, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment