Saturday, March 29, 2014

Review: The Lunchbox




                                  The 'Lunchbox' Fails To Satisfy My Appetite

                  Normally, I don't review films that I watch on my Sunday Cinema Club, for some reason, but because one I recently watched just came out this weekend, I figured I'd share my thoughts on it. But, boy do I have some thoughts on this wretched movie.

                  Story:
                 The Lunchbox is about a housewife from India named Ila (Nimrat Kaur) who sends her husband lunch via a special lunchbox delivery service out in India. However, it mistakenly gets sent to a widow named Saajan (Irfan Khan). Once Ila realizes this mistake, she then sends it to Saajan again the next day with a note and eventually they send the lunchbox back and forth each day as means of communication.

                What I Liked About It:
                 I will be nice and say this: I'll give the writers props for coming up with a more original story so they get points for originality. The good stuff ends there.

                What I Didn't Like About It:
               Where do I begin here? I'll start off by saying this: NOTHING. Happens. The film is just literally these two people sending a lunchbox back and forth and the film is just so awfully boring. The film hardly even has any conflict. A film should require conflict, not the idea of conflict. There were apparently plenty of gasps when this film wasn't selected as India's entry into the Foreign Language film category at the Oscars, but after watching this film, I don't see what the problem is as I am in the likely minority of people that just found this film to be the equivalent of a poorly tasting burnt bagel. This is also a rare film that had me wanting to burst out of the theater when it was over and I usually never feel that way. This very much saddens me because I love foreign films, but this is one of the worst I've seen.

                Consensus:
               Overall, The Lunchbox is a bland tedious piece of cinema that because of its story looks "delicious" but has a sour taste. I can honestly say, the store brand pizza I usually eat from Target is more tasty than this film. I don't recommend this movie and would say if it is playing at your local theatre, spend it elsewhere on a potentially better film.

Rating: 1/5 (1 star for originality)                 

No comments:

Post a Comment