Monday, February 3, 2014

RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman (1967-2014)

Hello, Bloggers, sorry I haven't blogged in a while, but I just started school and that'll begin to take up my time, just as a heads up. But, for today, I figured I'd talk about Philip Seymour Hoffman, who sadly just passed. It's just he was quite a favorite actor of mine and not only was the news was so shocking, but I personally was quite saddened by his passing. So, as a fan of his, I will offer my own little eulogy to him and to his talents.

Now, Philip Seymour Hoffman was in my all-time favorite movie Almost Famous where he played rock journalist Lester Bangs and even though he had such limited screen time, he really stole the show. Also, he was one of Paul Thomas Anderson's regulars. He starred in Hard Eight, Boogie Nights, Magnolia, Punch-Drunk Love, and The Master. The only ones from that list that I've seen were Boogie Nights and The Master, but those two performances were different from one another and that is what made Hoffman so great. But one of his best performances is without a doubt his role in Capote where he plays the titular author Truman Capote. When he was on screen, I did not see Philip Seymour Hoffman, all I saw was the person that he was portraying and to me, that is the hallmark of a great actor. Luckily, I was able to catch his last film to come out in theaters, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, and even though he had limited screen time in that film, he still really shined. It just goes to show that no matter how big or small of a part that Philip Seymour Hoffman had, he would always bring in his A-game.

So, I just wanted to offer my little tribute to Philip Seymour Hoffman. Please feel free to write in the comments section what your favorite PSH film or performance is. My condolences go to Hoffman's family and friends and he will be missed. Rest in Peace, Mr. Hoffman, you have truly shown us the true meaning of what an actor's actor really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment