Saturday, April 6, 2013

Review: Evil Dead (2013)



                                    The Most Terrifying Film You'll Ever Experience? Not Really

                      While Evil Dead is one of the best horror remakes I've seen in quite some time, I definitely wouldn't say it lives up to its tagline.

                       Story:
                     The new Evil Dead is about a recovering drug addict named Mia (Jane Levy) who is brought to a cabin by her brother David (Shiloh Fernandez) and their friends (Lou Taylor Pucci, Jessica Lucas, Elizabeth Blackmore). Once they find the Book of the Dead, all hell breaks loose and they become possessed by demons one by one.

                       What I Liked About It:
                     First off, I loved the actors and the solid character development. Jane Levy truly shines as Mia, the main protagonist who struggles with being possessed by demons and her own personal demons as well. After her performance in this, I really look forward to her future work. Shiloh Fernandez also shines as David, and even though this is technically the first thing I've seen him in, as i've only seen smidges of Red Riding Hood, he is truly amazing in this. Lou Taylor Pucci delivers a solid supporting performance as Eric, who is probably the bravest character as he is constantly beaten and stabbed, yet he never gives up. Even though Jessica Lucas and Elizabeth Blackmore have smaller roles, they manage to hold their own amongst the other three actors. Even though some Evil Dead fans were skeptical about this move, I liked how they didn't include Ash. If they did, then people would just draw comparisons between Bruce Campbell and whoever would play Ash.

                    Another thing I really liked about the film was the old-school feel that it had. From the score to the bleak, dreary atmosphere and the practical effects, it just seemed like a wonderful homage to classic horror. While I do LOVE horror films, if there is one thing I don't like about today's horror films, it's the extensive use of CGI effects. To me, they are just cheap and unrealistic. I only don't mind them if they have to be used. So because I prefer practical effects, I was glad that director Fede Alvarez decided to use practical effects to make the look of the monsters and the scares more effective.
 
                      What I Didn't Like About It:
                     Nothing.
        
                      Consensus:
                   Overall, Evil Dead is a solid re-imagining of the 1981 classic and is a wonderful homage to classic from the 70's and early 80's. Anyone who enjoys horror films should definitely give this one a watch.

*Note: Do not, I repeat, DO NOT, watch if you are squeamish!

Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment