Now that 2016 is slowly wrapping up, it is time to look forward to what the new year has to offer and what films are in store. Here are the top 10 films set to come out next year that I am most looking forward to. Let's take a look:
10. Ingrid Goes West: I've been a fan of Aubrey Plaza's work on Parks and Recreation. While she has stuck to her deadpan niche in films like Dirty Grandpa and Mike And Dave Need Wedding Dates, here she has a role that she could really sink her teeth into. In the dark comedy Ingrid Goes West, she plays a mentally unstable woman that becomes obsessed with a famous social media influencer played by Elizabeth Olsen who makes a relieving return to indie cinema where she got her breakout with Martha Marcy May Marlene. This film will premiere at Sundance next month and will potentially make its way into theaters next year.
9. Guardians Of The Galaxy, Vol.2: I was a big fan of Guardians Of The Galaxy and I think it's one of the best Marvel movies to come out because of how it distincts itself from the typical Marvel mold with its depiction of anti-heroes and its retro soundtrack. Here, it looks like that same distinctive style gets to be present in the sequel and I can't wait to go on another journey with these unlikely heroes.
8. Darkest Hour: With the recent still released of Gary Oldman in makeup as Winston Churchill, it is already clear that Focus Features is already gearing it up as an Oscar contender for next year. The plot about Winston Churchill being faced with decisions when fighting Hitler in WWII is pure Oscar catnip and it is directed by Joe Wright who did the Oscar winning Atonement and Anna Karenina. The film also has a great cast that includes Oldman, Ben Mendelsohn, John Hurt, Kristen Scott Thomas, and Lily James. I'm excited to see if this will revoke Ben Mendelsohn's membership from the Undervalued Talent Club and get him his first Oscar nomination. He is playing King George VI which was the role that nabbed Colin Firth his Best Actor Oscar.
7. Untitled Alexander McQueen Biopic: This one has a very exciting pairing: Jack O'Connell, the best actor of his generation, starring as Alexander McQueen in a film directed by Andrew Haigh who did both Weekend and 45 Years. All kinds of YES!!!! Also, much like Ben Mendelsohn, his on-screen father from Starred Up, O'Connell could punch in his first Oscar ticket.
6. Wonder Woman: DC has been getting a lot of crap lately for Batman v. Superman and Suicide Squad. But at least they have done something right that Marvel hasn't: Giving Wonder Woman her own movie before Black Widow and even Captain Marvel who is getting her own movie in 2019. I also thought Gal Gadot was one of the best things about Batman v. Superman. So I'm very excited to see this. Another added bonus: Patty Jenkins, a woman, is at the helm. So more representation behind the camera. Pure goodness!
5. Dunkirk: Christopher Nolan makes a venture into the war genre with the WWII biopic Dunkirk. One reason to get excited is to see what he does with the genre since he's known for his genre fare. Another reason to get excited is the cast that includes Kenneth Branagh, Mark Rylance, Tom Hardy, and Cillian Murphy. I'm a little skeptical about Harry Styles' involvement but maybe there's untapped acting potential within him. We shall see.
4. The Beguiled: Sofia Coppola brings in a remake of the 70's western by Clint Eastwood that features a cast that is bound to cause excitement. The cast includes Nicole Kidman, Elle Fanning, Kirsten Dunst, Colin Farrell, and The Nice Guys' Angourie Rice. Love that cast and even though it is already a remake, I love that we get to see a feminist western.
3. Mother: Darren Aronofsky returns to the director's chair with Mother which has a mysterious plot that makes it more intriguin along with its cast: Jennifer Lawrence, Javier Bardem, Ed Harris, Domnhall Gleeson, and last and certainly not least, Michelle Pfeiffer who is bound to have a killer 2017 with this, Where Is Kyra?, The Wizard Of Lies, and Murder On The Orient Express. This'll be good.
2. Star Wars: Episode VIII: For no other reason besides the fact that it's Star Wars. This one will probably be an emotional experience due to Carrie Fisher's untimely and tragic passing. But I still am excited to return to a galaxy far, far away.
1. Blade Runner 2049: Denis Villeneuve has become one of those directors where no matter what film he does, I am immediately there. He's one reason I'm excited along with the fact it stars Ryan Gosling who has also become a big draw for me. No matter what he stars in, I'm there. The cinematography by Roger Deakins also looks gorgeous and it has an amazing cast: Ryan Gosling, Harrison Ford, Robin Wright, Barkhad Abdi, Mackenzie Davis, and the list goes on. Cannot wait!!!
Now, here are some honorable mentions that didn't quite make the list:
Call Me By Your Name
Kong: Skull Island
Murder On The Orient Express
Rock Your Body
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Untitled Cloverfield Project
So we have a lot to look forward to in 2017 and I'm interested to hear about what films you guys are excited for next year. Please feel free to write your thoughts in the comments section. Thanks for reading!