Thursday, September 15, 2016

Oscar Watch: Miss Sloane (2016)



    Gun control is a topic running rampant in our country. Especially this year with the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando, the cases of innocent African-American people getting shot by the cops, and the shooting of the Voice contestant Christina Grimmie. So Miss Sloane could not have come out at a better time. You can watch the trailer here.

    Because the film seems to focus entirely on Chastain's character and how she is looking to enforce stricter gun control, I do wonder if the film will be very one-sided. I myself am in favor of stricter gun control and strongly believe that there should be background checks on ALL gun purchases. So I will probably find myself on Miss Sloane's side even if the other characters wonder if she's crossing the line.

     Since the film is so timely and it looks to be the Chastain show, Chastain could be a dark horse for Best Actress. She already has Oscar pedigree, having been nominated for The Help and Zero Dark Thirty. Also, the film has a December 9th release date. So if the film delivers, she could make the race even more competitive than it already is.

     Also, I just want to say that even though she has third billing in the trailer, I do fear that Gugu Mbatha-Raw will once again see her talents go underutilized like in Concussion and Jupiter Ascending. I do hope that I'm wrong and she has a bigger role than the trailer suggests. But we shall see. She had a stunning breakthrough in 2014 with Belle and Beyond The Lights so I'm anxious to see her get more amazing lead roles.

    Anyhow, I think the film looks promising. But what do you guys think? Do you think it looks like a legitimate Oscar contender and do you think it looks like a great film in general? Please feel free to write your thoughts in the comments section. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment