Thursday, November 27, 2014

Trailer Talk #23: Jurassic World, Pitch Perfect 2, Insurgent, Mortdecai, Pan, Cinderella

Hello, Bloggers, welcome to another episode of Trailer Talk. For today's episode, as a little Thanksgiving treat to potentially satisfy your craving before eating the Big Bird, I have some trailers to review for you folks that might get you excited for what is to come in the following year. Here we go:

Jurassic World: First up is the trailer for Jurassic World, which is the latest installment in the Jurassic Park series. Now, I honestly haven't seen Jurassic Park (Which I should get on ASAP) or any of the sequels, but this one certainly looks to be on my radar. One reason is because of star Chris Pratt, who I loved as Star-Lord in Guardians of the Galaxy and I think he is destined for great things. Plus, I thought the effects of the dinosaurs looked pretty nice and I have a weird fascination with sci-fi films that demonstrate the perils of toying with science. I'll more than likely check this out in theaters, but I'll have to remember to see the first one before I go and see this.



Pitch Perfect 2: Next up is the trailer to the comedy sequel Pitch Perfect 2. Surprisingly, I became quite a fan of the first Pitch Perfect and I am quite pleased that the original cast of characters are returning, especially Rebel Wilson as Fat Amy and both Elizabeth Banks and John Michael Higgins as the acapella tournament commentators. This one looks to expand on a whole world of acapella and I am quite intrigued to see the direction this sequel is going into. I will probably go and see this in theaters.


Insurgent: Next is the last sequel on this post, The Divergent Series: Insurgent. I have read the first Divergent book and saw the first movie and I am actually in the process of reading the Insurgent book. Once I get through that, I will more than likely see the film in theaters. The teaser trailer doesn't give away much and once the second trailer rolls around, I'll probably discuss that even if it breaks my rule because I usually do a "one and done" deal with each film. But, I thought the action in this trailer was quite nice and it was a little weird seeing Shailene Woodley in that short haircut but her character did cut her hair in the beginning of the book. Anyways, once I get through the book, I'll be able to see the film once it comes out.


Mortdecai: Next is the film Mortdecai starring Johnny Depp, Gwyneth Paltrow, Paul Bettany, and Ewan McGregor. Before I watched the trailer, I didn't really think a whole lot of the film. I do like Johnny Depp, but up until Transcendence, I felt that he mostly resorted to doing the "Jack Sparrow/Tim Burton" routine. I did have some slight worries that he is going into similar territory when watching the trailer for this, But the film got quite a bit of laughs out of me and I think the cast is so spectacular, so those worries got overlooked. I may check this out in theaters, depending on what else is coming out.


Pan: Next is the trailer to the origin story of Peter Pan known simply as Pan, starring Hugh Jackman, Rooney Mara, and Garrett Hedlund. Now, while I do love the original Disney animated film, I am on the fence with this. I do think that the film looks very colorful and I do like the cast, even though I have some reservations about Rooney Mara playing Tiger Lily but for reasons other than her acting (which I love), but I might have to either wait for another trailer or just say "no thanks".



Cinderella: Lastly is the trailer for the Disney adaptation Cinderella. While other live-action adaptations of Disney classics, like Maleficent and Alice In Wonderland, seem to be reinventing them, I don't really think this one is. I did actually get a bit excited when I heard this was being made mainly because the Bossy Aussie Cate Blanchett was cast as Lady Tremaine. While I am sure she'll be good, I worry that this one is a "been there, done that". I could be wrong and I hope that I'm wrong, but I might wait until either another trailer is released or the reviews come out.


So, that was my latest episode of Trailer Talk and as always, my next episode will come up when I next go to the movies and/or watch a bunch of new trailers online. Until then, thanks for reading and Happy Thanksgiving!

Final Rating:

Jurassic World: Gotta See It!
Pitch Perfect 2: More Than Likely
Insurgent: More Than Likely
Mortdecai: Eh, You've Peaked My Interest
Pan: Meh
Cinderella: Meh


No comments:

Post a Comment