Saturday, November 8, 2014

Trailer Talk #22: Selma, The Gambler, Serena, American Sniper, Chappie, The Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Hello, Bloggers, welcome to another episode of Trailer Talk. For this episode, I will review a bunch of trailers that I have seen online for you folks. Let's take a look at what they are:

Selma: First up is the trailer for the upcoming biopic Selma. Now, the film is about Martin Luther King and I think it is very nice they are finally doing an MLK biopic. We already had one about Malcolm X, so it is nice that they might finally be making a companion piece to it. I also love the casting choice of David Oyelowo as MLK. I have become a fan of his work since I saw him in The Butler and while I watched him in the trailer, I kept forgetting it was him which might be a good sign. Before I saw the trailer, I actually didn't think much of the film but after watching it, I became a bit more interested. Since this comes out around awards season, I might check it out if it gains any momentum.



The Gambler: Next up is the trailer for The Gambler starring Mark Wahlberg. Much like Selma, I didn't think a whole lot of this film before I saw the trailer, but after finally watching it, I still don't really think much of it. I mean, I do love Mark Wahlberg, and I really like Brie Larson, Jessica Lange, and John Goodman who also star. But this one just isn't grabbing me as of right now. It could be because this type of film isn't for me. But regardless, I might not check it out in theaters.


Serena: Next is the trailer for Serena, starring Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence. It has taken quite a while before this film would even receive a trailer, but watching the trailer makes me realize why it took such a while for this film to be released. Despite the talent it has, I don't think it looks that brilliant. Cooper's accent is a little botched and Lawrence's performance seems a bit too stoic. I like both actors, but they don't seem to be in top-form here and the film doesn't seem all that good to begin with.



American Sniper: Next up is the upcoming Oscar hopeful American Sniper starring Bradley Cooper and directed by Clint Eastwood. Now, Cooper seems like he is doing a really nice job here and I loved how the trailer mostly focuses on Cooper waiting to shoot his target while cutting back and forth between flashbacks. I thought that was a nice touch. Even though, I am not much of a war movie guy, I might check this one out depending on its awards traction.



Chappie: Next up is the sci-fi pic Chappie, directed by Neill Blomkamp (District 9, Elysium). Sci-fi is definitely Blomkamp's forte and I love how each film, he takes a social issue like racism and class and translates them into inventive science fiction stories. But this one seems to have a rather typical "alien or robot trying to find acceptance" storyline and I am not entirely sure whether this one is reinventing the wheel or not. I like his work though, so I may give it a watch.



The Avengers: Age of Ultron: With this one, I saved the best for last. The Avengers: Age of Ultron is probably my most anticipated movie of 2015 and May 1 can't come soon enough, in my opinion. one thing I really liked about this trailer is definitely the remix of "I've Got No Strings" from Pinocchio. It hasn't gotten out of my head ever since. I'm seeing this in the movie theaters. No ifs, ands, or buts.



Now, onto my final rating system of each trailer:

Selma: Eh, You've Peaked My Interest
The Gambler: Rental
Serena: Rental/NO!
American Sniper: Eh, You've Peaked My Interest
Chappie: More Than Likely
The Avengers: Age of Ultron: Gotta See It!

So, that was my latest episode of Trailer Talk. My next episode will come once I see new trailers online and/or I go to the movies next. Until then, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment