Saturday, February 23, 2013

2013 Oscar Predictions/Picks

In honor of the Oscars tomorrow, I figured I'd give my predictions on who will win and who I personally think should win.


Best Picture:

Should Win: The Silver Linings Playbook

While I have seen some moving pictures in 2012, none of them moved me as much as The Silver Linings Playbook. It is truly a remarkable film that inspired me to go out and find my own silver lining. It's heartwarming, emotional, and very realistic, and should take home the grand prize.

Will Win: Argo

Because Argo is killing it during awards season, I feel that it will take home the grand prize. Plus, it will be one of the few movies that will win Best Picture without winning Best Director because of Ben Affleck being snubbed. While I haven't seen it, so I can't really decide whether it deserves to win Best Picture, I feel that it will win Best Picture.

Best Director:

Should Win: David O. Russell, The Silver Linings Playbook

Because The Silver Linings Playbook is the only nominee for Best Director that I've actually seen, David O. Russell has my vote to win Best Director. Plus, I still loved the way O. Russell directed it.

Will Win: Steven Spielberg, Lincoln

I have the feeling that Spielberg will win the Oscar for Best Director for a few reasons. One reason is because Lincoln is the most nominated film this year and because of that I think it will win big, and because Affleck isn't nominated for Argo, there is plenty of hype around Spielberg. So, I feel that Spielberg will win Best Director.

Best Actor:

Should Win: Bradley Cooper, The Silver Linings Playbook

While it seems pretty obvious who will win Best Actor, my vote still goes to Bradley Cooper. In Silver Linings Playbook, he truly showcases his dramatic acting chops and gives his best performance to date. While I always liked Bradley Cooper as an actor, in Silver Linings, his acting talents truly shine.

Will Win: Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln

This should come as no surprise, but Day-Lewis will win Best Actor. I personally feel that the Academy needs to pass the torch to someone else who's nominated because Day-Lewis already won Best Actor twice, but I don't see that happening. It definitely doesn't mean I don't like Day-Lewis as an actor, I just think it would be nice to see a surprise win and somebody different.

Best Actress:

Should Win: Jennifer Lawrence, The Silver Linings Playbook

Before I went to go see The Silver Linings Playbook, I already knew that Lawrence was a fantastic actress, but in this, she completely blew me away. She plays a character completely different from Katniss Everdeen and Mystique, and truly embodies the character she plays. Even if she doesn't win, then luckily she has plenty of time in her life to win an Oscar.

Will Win: Emmanuelle Riva, Amour

Now, this was actually a close pick, between Jessica Chastain and Emmanuelle Riva, but I feel that in this point in the Oscar race, Riva has the upper hand. I feel that the Academy will pick her because the awards are on her birthday, so she'll get the sympathy vote. Though if it doesn't go to her, it'll probably go to Chastain. But I guess, we'll see.

Best Supporting Actor:

Should/Will Win: Christoph Waltz, Django Unchained

I feel that in this point in the Oscar race, Waltz has now gained the upper hand in the race for the Best Supporting Actor Oscar. But I'm glad because I think Waltz deserves the Oscar and I think he'll get it.

Best Supporting Actress:

Should/Will Win: Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables

Hathaway has already won the Critic's Choice, Golden Globe, SAG, and the BAFTA. All that's left is the Oscar, and she rightfully deserves the Oscar.

Best Original Screenplay:

Should/Will Win: Quentin Tarantino, Django Unchained

Tarantino has already cleaned up pretty good with awards season and I feel that he should and will win the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay. Loved Django Unchained and thought it was his best work since Kill Bill.

Best Adapted Screenplay:

Should/ Will Win: David O. Russell, The Silver Linings Playbook

This is a tough one, but this category seems pretty open this year, but because O. Russell just won the BAFTA for Best Adapted Screenplay, I feel that he will win the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay, and he definitely should.








No comments:

Post a Comment