Thursday, November 24, 2016

A Few Things I'm Thankful For

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! In the spirit of this holiday, I figured I'd share a few occurrences in the world of film and even television this year that I am quite thankful for. Let's take a look:


The Rise Of Kate McKinnon: Few people saw their star shine as bright as Kate McKinnon this year. She got to co-host the Independent Spirit Awards, she was the scene-stealing MVP in Ghostbusters, her popularity has grown on Saturday Night Live thanks to her killer Hillary Clinton impressions, and to top it all off, she won an Emmy for Best Supporting Actress In A Comedy Series. While she has been around on SNL before, this is the first year that I, along with perhaps other people, really got to take note of her talent. I'm thrilled to have been introduced to such a refreshing face in comedy and I can't wait to see what she brings to the big screen.


The Pairing Of Russell Crowe And Ryan Gosling: Up until The Nice Guys, I have been pretty fond of the talents of Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling. But now, after seeing these two pair up on screen, I'm like "I would watch 90 more movies with these two together on screen" because their chemistry in The Nice Guys is just so golden. We may not get a sequel because the film sadly didn't do any business. But I'm just glad I got to see these two paired up on screen to begin with.


Emmy Winner Ben Mendelsohn: Ben Mendelsohn has caught my attention since his few scenes as corrupt businessman John Daggett in The Dark Knight Rises. I've been following his talent since that and The Place Beyond The Pines where he had another scene-stealing turn and showed how he makes every film he's in better. So just imagine my reaction when he shockingly won the Emmy this year for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series for Bloodline. We didn't get to see his speech because he wasn't at the ceremony. But audiences will still get to see more of him on the big screen. In fact, they'll see him next month when Rogue One: A Star Wars Story hits theaters and hopefully, more people will seek out his work going forward. 


The Year Of The Woman: What a killer year it is for actresses! It's not just a competitive year for the Best Actress race at the Oscars but it's a great year for actresses all around. It's a great year for genre ladies (Blake Lively in The Shallows, Mary Elizabeth Winstead in 10 Cloverfield Lane, Anya Taylor-Joy in The Witch, etc.). We also got to see actresses over 60 carrying indie hits like Sally Field in Hello, My Name Is Doris and Helen Mirren in Eye In The Sky while funny ladies like the Bad Moms reached the $100m domestic mark. More. Years. Like. This. Please!!!!


Moonlight: I will be absolutely and physically stunned if I find a film that beats Moonlight for the title of "best film of the year." Thank you to Barry Jenkins for this cinematic wonder.


So those are a few cinematic occurrences this year I'm thankful for. I would love to hear what you guys are thankful for when it comes to the film or television world so please write your thoughts in the comments section. Thanks for reading and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment